BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

7.14.2009

"Jane Roe" Arrested

Yesterday, Norma McCorvey, better known as Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade, was arrested during a protest that took place during Sonia Sottomayor's Supreme Court confirmation hearing. Although McCorvey has been a controversial figure in the reproductive rights movement for years I was surprised to hear of her arrest. The more I learn about McCorvey, the more conflicted I feel about this woman. I'm grateful for the passing of Roe v. Wade, which decriminalized abortion, I can't help but wonder how this woman felt and was treated throughout the proceedings. Were her sense of agency and well-being neglected or ignored by the pro-choice movement to serve their agenda? Did that treatment cause her to be more easily swayed by Operation Rescue and the anti-choice movement for their cause? Does she ever just feel like a pawn, used by both sides?

Via Washington Post

0 comments: