BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

3.31.2009

Weight of Words

I wish I had heard about this campaign earlier, even though I regularly receive mail and newsletters from the Special Olympics this slipped past me. The derogatory use of the term 'retard' has gotten out of control; I hear it at least once a day and have noticed it getting worse. There are some people who argue that it is not a big deal, its just a word, but there are some serious implications to the language we use and its important that we be mindful of our words. And not just retard, but fag/gay, pussy, and cripple...All that language needs to stop. The denigrating use of those words only contributes to the discrimination and stereotyping of homosexuals, women, the disabled, and other groups.

r-word.org

0 comments: